[ANN]Jabber server

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Sun Jan 11 10:28:06 UTC 2004

On the plane on the way home from Smalltalk Solutions, I started writing
a Jabber server in Squeak.  It's taken me a while, but I finally have
something that "works" well enough that I thought I'd offer a quick peek.

All the usual pre-release warnings apply.  The code needs some serious
refactoring, pretty much everything could change in the near future,
yada, yada, yada.  It doesn't even have a shnazzy name yet :)

But what it should do is let you create an account, login,
add/remove/modify items in your roster, and send messages.  It should
send your presence to all appropriate roster items, etc.  It should
roughly implement the core (and I do mean *core*) parts of the Jabber
protocol.  I've been testing it mostly with Psi but also with Nitro on
OSX.  It just occurred to me that I haven't tried it with Michael's
Squeak Jabber client recently, so your mileage may vary.

I currently am using a fairly heavily modified version of Michael's
Jabber package as well as a slightly patched version of KomServices.
Installing all the right pieces could be a bit hairy at the moment, so
until I get that all cleaned up a little better, I've put an image up at
http://www.beta4.com/jabber/jabber-demo.tgz for people to play with.

If you execute the code in the workspace in that image, you should get a
server with the name 'localhost' on port 5222.  So you'd want to sign up
for an account like 'julian at localhost' from your jabber client.

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)