ask for APSL? for real this time?

Lothar Schenk lothar.schenk at gmx.de
Sun Jan 11 12:12:00 UTC 2004

Goran Krampe quoted:

> "Portions of Squeak are:
> Copyright (c) 1996 Apple Computer, Inc.
> Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Walt Disney Company, and/or
> Copyrighted works of other contributors.
> All rights reserved."

Which leads me to a lot of questions:

Which part of the code belongs to Apple, which part belongs to Disney, which
part belongs to which other contributors? Is there a reliable record? What
would be the granularity of dividing the code into different ownership:
packages? class hierarchies? individual subclasses? changesets? individual
methods? Is Squeak-L applicable and valid in all cases?

Which conditions have to be met to make self-developed code be (demonstrably)
non-derivative? What if an author implements new code by modeling it after
existant code, for example a Foo Browser (with Foo=application objects)
modeled after one of the existing browsers? Can she still claim it to be her
work? Would it be a possible violation of Squeak-L (not protective of Apple
rights) if she released her work under MIT only or even dual-licensed it
under Squeak-L and MIT? Are there similar implications if I subclass one of
my classes from an existing class and override some of the methods with
roughly similar code?

Lothar