ask for APSL? for real this time?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Jan 16 08:21:15 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> > If Alan approaches Steve (Apple), another possibility is a complete
> > transferal of copyright.
> >    (Yes, you may think I'm nuts. I'm okay with that.)

> > From that position it would be easy enough to redo the license to a
> > BSD or Squeak Community License or some such.
> >
> > From that position we could approach Disney, et al. and either they
> > re-license or assign their copyrights. My checkbook is still out, I
> > can write them a $1 check too. :)  Or worst case, we excise their code
> > into a future-forward version of Squeak.
>

> Currently, re-licensing Squeak, or seeking a transferal of copyright for
> all of Squeak (which is probably more difficult than re-licensing), is
> not really an option at the moment, for the reasons I mentioned in my
> email from two days ago:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-January/072335.html

Well, I am not sure that it isn't a viable option. But Andrew can
probably shed light on that. My naive reasoning:

It seems to me that Apple and Disney have no practical way of changing
Squeak-L into something "more proprietary".

Apple could do it for version 1.13 (or whichever was the last Apple
version, circa 350 classes) - but hey, what would that give them? For a
later version they need to be in agreement with Disney I assume, and
many of us contributors.

Disney would have to be in agreement with Apple AND all of us
contributors to do anything with their stuff. And ripping out the Apple
core and all contributions seems pretty hard to do.

So... if they simply transferred ownership to a proper SqF - wouldn't
that actually be somewhat of a relief for them?

regards, Göran