Sublicensing Squeak-L (was Re: ask for APSL? for real this time?)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Jan 16 08:28:49 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Btw, now that we are digging around anyway - some thoughts about Debian
and distribution:

- Is University of Illinois aware of that they are covered by the
indemnification clause?
- I discovered Debian has a few so called "install packages". The
package "xanime-modules" has been mentioned as an example. When
installed it simply downloads and installs binaries from another
distributor than Debian. The user experience stays the same. Tada!

So we could actually write such an install package for Squeak that
downloads from University of Illinois (or some other entity) and
installs Squeak. And this package can be under GPL and be in "proper
Debian". Thus Debian isn't distributing Squeak - just a script.

Now if University of Illinois "wakes up" and don't want to distribute
Squeak anymore (due to indemnification clause) - then perhaps it is high
time to create a proper SqF that is a legal body that can do the
distribution. If someone sues, so what? SqF wouldn't have any money
anyway. Or?

regards, Göran