Developer Workspace grabs the whole screen

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sat Jan 17 14:51:17 UTC 2004

Trygve Reenskaug <trygver at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> Many thanks to Ken and Brian. Two answers within the space of a few hours.

That is "normal" here on squeak-dev. :)

> I should have found the answer myself, but the functionality is so enormous
> that it is easy to miss the one important command.

Yep.

> I am still in doubt if I can spend the time to become a Squeak expert when
> there is such a lot I want to implement. There is any amount of Squeak
> stuff I need to learn. And much to port (e.g., a flattening browser,
> persistent objects, role modeling, reverse engineering)

Not sure what a flattening browser does (but I can imagine) but perhaps
Whisker is something to look at.

Regarding persistent objects we already have numerous options in Squeak:

- Magma: GemStone-clone written in pure Squeak all the way.
- GOODS: A Squeak binding so that you can use the excellent open source
language neutral OODB "GOODS".
- ImageSegments: Can be used for simple apps.
- SPrevayler: An interesting idea that relies on serializable commands
instead of serializing the objects. See prevayler.org
- A whole bunch of O/R solutions and bindings to MySQL and PostgreSQL
AFAIK. And ODBC.
- A binding to GemStone/S (don't know if it is fresh)

...so I think we are already quite well equipped.

> All this pulls me
> towards staying with VW. But the wonderful Squeak community, the added
> flexibility + the openness pulls me strongly towards Squeak. Time will show.
>
> Again, thanks for rapid response
> --Trygve

regards, Göran