[BUG] primPathNameDelimiter on Mac OS X varies by VM *and* Box

Jack Keel jhkeel at facstaff.wisc.edu
Sat Jan 17 19:15:04 UTC 2004

Fellow Squeakers,

I'm having problems that seem related to an invalid path name delimiter
being returned by primPathNameDelimiter on several VMs.  I did the
following test on my G3 Panther box changing only the VM between tests.

Using Squeak 3.5.1Beta4.app, Squeak 3.7.1Beta1.app, Squeak
3.2.8Beta9.app, Squeak 3.6.1Beta5.app  I get the following

FileDirectory pathNameDelimiter        --->  $:
FileDirectory primPathNameDelimiter ---> $:
Smalltalk platformName.                        ---> 'Mac OS'

Using Squeak-3.6g-2.app I get what I expected.

FileDirectory pathNameDelimiter         ---> $/
FileDirectory primPathNameDelimiter ---> $/
Smalltalk platformName.                        ---> 'unix'

Curiously, the Squeak-3.6g-2.app returns the $: on a G4 Jaguar laptop
(10.2.8 without the developer tools) and works okay on a G4 laptop
(10.2.6 with Developer) and works on a G4 laptop with Panther.  On yet
another old G4 tower with 10.2.8 it fails with a "does not understand"
(i.e. an entirely different error).

So I have yet to find a VM that works consistently on all my OS X
platforms.  And since Squeak-3.6g-2.app doesn't have sound my
application is disabled even on the ones that know what the proper
delimiter is.

Jack