update stream policy

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sun Jan 18 14:55:19 UTC 2004

Hi all!

I admit that I have only read a little bitty bit of this thread but
while I am uploading the new SM2 server-image using a 56kb modem I
thought I could say something at least.

IMHO this is all about tool support. I cringe when someone thinks that
"putting everything back in the image" is the solution. To answer
Andreas directly (no 1 below):

1. SM2 has support for multiple maintainers. It is being hopefully
deployed today (unless I barf it). This means several people can
maintain the SM2 registration info and that includes making releases.
(though there may be a bug in there regarding the upload area - oh well,
another day)

2. BFAV will (according to the developers of it at least) be moving
towards being "package aware". This means that hopefully reports and
fixes will be "funneled" to the correct persons etc.

3. We are tying the PIs with the SM2 packages. What this means is that
we can automate a lot more from inside the image. We can make the tools
"smarter". An obvious example is "Take this fix I just made, split it up
appropriately and mail it to the primary maintainers of affected
packages". Yes, with SM2 and when TFNR is ready (=the whole image is
partitioned using PI) then this can actually be implemented, and much
more.

4. Next step for me in SM2 is dependencies etc along the lines I have
outlined before. This together with proper releases (which SM2 has now)
means we can make new releases of core stuff and then have the dependent
packages be updated when time permits. Some people shout for Avi to add
dependencies - and fine by me. Just try to keep in mind what you are
after, so you don't mistakenly mix SM-dependencies with MC-dependencies.

The idea that a single person can first change say class Socket and then
make all the needed updating in all the dependent packages *all by
himself* is something we need to drop. Sure, it had the illusion of
working before in the monolithic image, but today with over 350 packages
on SM it just doesn't work. And note my use of the word "illusion"
because even before there was code outside of the image that broke
horribly but people didn't see that - only the package maintainer
himself did.

Ok, now I have to help making some dinner.

I will not participate more in this discussion until SM2 is up and
running. :) I am on IRC though.

regards, Göran