[Nostalgia] Apple APDA Smalltalk-80

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Sun Jan 18 16:04:41 UTC 2004

ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> could you tell us a bit the size (number of classes...) of these
> systems? or other information you find revelant.
> I'm interested in Smalltalk-76 to deeply understand a Smalltalk from
> top to bottom.
> stef

Here are some figures for two old Smalltalks
from Digitalk:

Smalltalk V R1.2: (useable on a 8086)

number of classes: 115
number of methods:  2147
size of image: approx. 220 KBytes

Smalltalk V/286: (required an 80286)

number of classes:  130
number of methods: 2486
size of image: approx. 500 KBytes

Expression to find the number of classes:
 Object allSubclasses size

Expression to find the number of methods:
 CompiledMethod allInstances size

Both products used different object formats and
that fact explains the remarkable difference of
the images sizes for two systems that were otherwise
very similar in size.
--------------------------------------

The number of classes as well as the number of methods
includes the invisible classes and methods of the
Compiler. Smalltalk V/286 contained 16 invisible
classes that implemented both the Smalltalk compiler
and a compiler for the Prolog that was part of that
product.

The "view hierachy":
Pane
  SubPane
    GraphPane
    ListPane
    TextPane
  TopPane

That was all and it was enough to create beautiful
applications. ( But a lot of programmers added
specialized Panes, which was quite easy.)

I remember also that a really nice interface builder
was available from Acumen Software (later
Cooper & Peters, Inc.) , but  I cannot give you
figures about the product because I do not have it.
It was decribed in
Smalltalk/V Scoop, vol. III No. 4, 1990
The same newsletter describes also
ENVY/Developer, a program that was