update stream policy

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sun Jan 18 20:23:24 UTC 2004

Hi all!

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Goran,
>
> Just two quick notes:
> > I cringe when someone thinks that "putting everything
> > back in the image" is the solution.
>
> As far as I can tell, noone said nor meant this. It seems to me that this is
> becoming the standard reply to any comments on the problems we have with
> maintaining code in external packages.

Ok, I may have stepped on toes because I didn't read carefully before
posting. Guilty as charged. But then again, looking over what Stephane
says later it sure looks to me that this is in part what he wants (for
*tests*, and as I read him, tests that are for stuff already in the
image):

Stephane wrote:
>> Yes, well - as I said I haven't read the thread closely. I thought at
>> least someone proposed having the tests "in the image".
>Yes me. Tests should be included in basic and full and alpha as well
>as class comments are. Because some class comment take much more space
>than tests.

Now, I will stop arguing right here - because I may still be
misunderstanding it all.

> > The idea that a single person can first change say class Socket and then
> > make all the needed updating in all the dependent packages *all by
> > himself* is something we need to drop.
>
> You are correct. This is all the more reason to include packages in the
> community processes, and make the harvesting, review, and update process
> work with external packages as well as with in-image code.

Yes, and AFAIK this is indeed what we are trying to work towards - but
we aren't that many doing the work, and it takes time to get pieces in
place.

But before you bash me out of oblivion here - I still haven't read this
thread in detail. And I am not sure I will be able to catch up either.

I just hope that we try sticking with working *with* and *in* packages
and whenever a need or problem pops up - we don't run back to the
Mama-image - instead we try to make the tools better. :)

regards, Göran