update stream policy

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Sun Jan 18 20:43:30 UTC 2004

On Sunday 18 January 2004 10:08 am, ducasse wrote:

> What people are doing with Squeak if they do not program. Ok may etoy.
> but look at the recent question about insert:before:
>
> A person reported a bug, it was archived, reviewed, then closed because
> simply the protocol was not clear. Imagine tests as documentation.
> With that documentation we would limit problem like that. For me
> when we will have a kernel with nothing and only load script then sure
> tests should be packaged
> now we do not have that. and we are spending time on that.

> For example,
> some approved items
> are pending because they contain tests. So does it mean that marcus or
> I should spend
> ***OUR*** time separating tests and code then publish a new
> package....Is it what you imply?

No. I think I was careful to make the distinction between the *alpha* images
and the *released* images. I think the next *released* image might be
packaged differently than it is now (more modular), and with the SM2 ability
to have local caches, it may make sense to distribute the tests *with* the
image (i.e. alongside, in the SM2 local cache), instead of *in* the image.
That way, they're available at the touch of a button but don't get duplicated
as in-image artifacts every time you save an image (unless they get loaded).

But this is a packaging decision that has yet to be made.

As far as I'm concerned, I think it makes sense to have tests available in the
alpha images, since it makes it easier to submit and test fixes and
enhancements. Which (I think) is also what you're saying.

> If this is the case do count on me. As you noticed I pay attention that
> what you are doing get reviewed really fast

That's an interesting observation. I went to the BFAV archive to see if that
was so, and it seems that many of my [ENH] posts do get reviewed reasonably
fast.

The two attached GIFs each show two curves representing how long it takes for
other people to respond to original FIX or ENH posts from you (blue) and me
(red).
They show the cumulative percentage vs. time in days.

As you see, about 44% of my ENH posts and about 30% of my FIX posts get
responded to (not necessarily reviewed!) within a week.

Our ENH curves cross at three weeks, with about 48% being responded to by
then. Past that time, the response to your posts increases fast.

After 2 months, 71% of your ENH posts and only 52% of my posts have been
responded to.

The FIX curves intersect much earlier. At 2 days, 27% of your FIX posts and
23% of mine have been responded to. After a month, 76% of yours and 50% of
mine have had responses.

So I hope you weren't comparing my review rate with yours.

> but my time is not extensible and I'm not payed for that nor gain money
> out of it.

Sadly, my time is not extensible either. I wish it were!

And the bulk of the time I spend on Squeak (fixes, helping people on the list,
and most enhancements) is unpaid.

> If people prefer that we spend time on separating tests and publishing
> them on remote servers
> and update web page and url instaed of harvesting new stuff say it
> clearly. But in that case you will
> have to find another harvester.

I'm not saying that.

I appreciate your harvesting work, as I hope the rest of the Squeak community
does.

Thanks!