Going to 3.7 beta (was: [UPDATES] 34 for Squeak3.7alpha)

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sun Jan 18 19:16:12 UTC 2004

Am 17.01.2004 um 12:13 schrieb Alejandro F. Reimondo:

> Hi Diego!,
>
>> - Move to 4.0 and not to 3.7.  The .changes files is huge! And, from
>> the
>> marketing POV, we have enough new features (babel, new look, ttf
>> fonts,
>> etc) to consider a "new" version.
>
> Will Version 4.0 include upgrades proposed in VI4 ?
>  (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2119)

No. This stuff I *really* not simple. How can anybody think that
something
that complex could ever be added to squeak if we can't even get
LargeLists
reviewed?

(And there are other aspects of VI4, e.g. what consequeces the design
has for a jitter, and so on...)

It is a common thing to postpone a lot of changes for some "major
release".
This used to be 3.0, then 4.0. As nobody is actively working on all
that stuff,
this "4.0" is years away. But the changes file is growing, and so we
will
at some point do a 4.0 release that is not that mytically release. Do
this will
be called "5.0". Up until that point when we decide to do a 5.0 release
because the changeset has grown too large, after that the mythically
release
will be called 6.0, and so one...

    Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de