[Nostalgia] Apple APDA Smalltalk-80

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Mon Jan 19 15:53:44 UTC 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 6:31 am, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 12:19, "Ricardo L. A. Bánffy" wrote:
> > That would be cool.
> >
> > I have a couple Macintoshes that could run it - a Color Classic and
> > an LC II. It would be amazingly cool to show.
>
> Well, it would run in the sense that you would get the old Smalltalk-80
> "desktop" on your screen. Unfortunately it talks directly to the
> hardware for the keyboard and mouse and doesn't know anything about the
> ADB. So it is not usable on anything newer than a Mac Plus.

But if you could find a MacPlus ROM and system 7.5.5 you could use:

- the vMac emulator: http://leb.net/vmac/
- the Basilisk II emulator: http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/B2Main.html

or maybe SoftMac or Fusion PC from:
http://www.emulators.com/download.htm

> I did create an image that would automatically run some benchmarks and
> print the results and used that on a Mac Classic (but then had to
> reboot since there was no way to exist Smalltalk).
>
> My copy of disk 7 is damaged (this has the "small" image for running on
> Mac with only 512KB of RAM) but I was able to copy the other six
> floppies from the original 400KB format to the 1.44MB format on a
> Classic II and transfer that into a Performa 5215CD. My attempts to go
> from there to a PC have not been as successful and I would welcome any
> advice (none of my old Macs have network interfaces).

You should be able to read the raw data from the 1.44 floppy as a disk image.
That image should be mountable under Linux using the loop device, and if it's
HFS, the hfstools package for Linux can read HFS format (Mac plus or later);
I don't know about MFS readers.

Ah, wait... there's Imgtool from the MESS project.
http://www.mess.org/index.html