Squeak listening to specific IP Addresses?

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Tue Jan 20 00:45:29 UTC 2004

Peter William Lount wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure Squeak to listen to specific IP Addresses
> and Ports, i.e. 1.2.3.4:8000, on a machine that supports multiple ip
> addresses? If so how? If not, how can we add this feature?
>
> A further example is running a Comanche squeak server on 1.2.3.4:80
> and on 5.6.7.8:80.
>
> Two basic configurations interest me.
>
> 1. Restrict a squeak image to a specific ip address (or more than one
> specific address) from the set of addresses that are being homed on
> the server.
>
> 2. Enable squeak to listen to specific ipa:port pairs from the set of
> addresses that are being homed on the server.
>
> All the best,
>
> Peter William Lount, Smalltalk.org Senior Editor
> peter at smalltalk.org <mailto:peter at smalltalk.org>
> peter at activeinfo.ca <mailto:peter at activeinfo.ca>

I've got Squeak running on a multi-homed machine.  However...

...it listens on a given port, regardless of which IP any given request
targeted.  So, this implies that the answer to both of your questions is
"NO".

However...

...it's not hard to have a given image subsequently "throw away"
requests that weren't directed at a specific IP.  So, this implies that
the answer to both of your questions is "YES".

What you CANNOT do, is have two separate images each listening on the
same port.

> A further example is running a Comanche squeak server on 1.2.3.4:80
> and on 5.6.7.8:80.

If you mean to say: one image listening on port 80, on a machine that is
multi-homed at IP addresses 1.2.3.4 and 5.6.7.8, then "YES".

If you mean to say: two different images, one listening on 1.2.3.4:80,
and the other listening on 5.6.7.8:80, then "NO"

Here is another example:

One image can listen on port 80, and "throws away" requests that weren't
directed to IP 1.2.3.4, thus it is "listening" only to 1.2.3.4:80.

Another image running on the same machine listens to port 8080, and
"throws away" requests that weren't directed to IP 5.6.7.8, thus it is
"listening" only to 5.6.7.8:8080.

The two images can even forward requests back-and-forth to each other
(and thus serve as a network bridge between the two IP's).

But they can't both be listening on port 80.  That won't work.

Nevin

--
Nevin Pratt
Bountiful Baby