Updating a PluggableTextMorph and having the change displayed

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue Jan 20 17:49:19 UTC 2004

I apologize in advance.  I have a strong sense of deja vu on this one
but I've searched and searched but can't find where I or anyone else has
brought this up on the list.

I'm working on adding some status feedback to BFAV2.  Right now simply
in the form of a new small pane at the bottom that contains a
PluggableTextMorph.

I'm finding that requesting an update of the get selector is not
resulting in the PluggableTextMorph being redrawn and showing the new
text.  I hunt and hunt and find (through a long drawn out process) that
in PluggableTextMorph>>update: a change of appendEntry forces a
refreshWorld but a change of the get selector does not.  What is the
logic here?  Is there some good reason why one does the refresh and the
other does not?  Assuming there is, should I be myself forcing a refresh
when I know that the text has changed and should be redrawn?

I find refrences to stepping and addDeferredUIMessage: in the archives
but that all seems 'out of model' when we are talking about a simple
text display widget that should immediately reflect changes in its
model.

Ken