Squeak Daemon: Why doesn't Squeak sleep with zero cpu usage?

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Wed Jan 21 00:04:43 UTC 2004

Peter William Lount wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was hoping to have the gui enabled so that debugging is still possible
>(and practical).
>
>I tried your suggestion and it takes no less cpu and it has a dead gui in
>that image now.
>
>As for the network connection, I've tried the squeak vnc server and have not
>been able to get it to work. I use the RealVNC client.

I don't have any input Re: cpu usage except to say that I've just
learned to live with it.  It really bugs me though b/c it causes some
chunk of the Squeak image and VM to remain in memory all the time and
with a few squeak images running my system becomes very bogged down.  I
can say that Squeak+VNC works great...not the Squeak VNC server mind
you, just a normal UNIX box set up with VNC running a squeak image.  I
use this all the time over my cable connection and it's pretty quick.
Someone (Avi?) mentioned Nebraska but I had problems with it under 3.6
whenever I would do a mouse drag (like moving a window).

David Shaffer