New to the Squeak List

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Thu Jan 22 21:03:50 UTC 2004

Ed Grant wrote:

> I hope this is the right place for asking amateur questions.

Yep, this is the place.

>Okay now for a little question:
>
>Can Squeak be made to run on a IBM Thinkpad 365E with an AMD 100 running
>Windows 95 with 16MB RAM and a 800MB Harddrive?
>
>I don't need all the fancy classes. I will be using it mainly to study and
>play with Squeak. I would like to at least have the ST-80, Morphic and
>Network classes.
>
>Right now I'm running Smalltalk Express on the Think Pad.

You might want to start with a "Basic" 3.6 image from the ftp site which
is a bit smaller than the "Full" 3.6 image since you're a little tight
on memory.  (Basic image is 8MB vs. 11MB for the Full image.)

ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.6

You may also want to look at executing parts of
SystemDictionary>>majorShrink if you need to pare things down further.

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2182

Welcome to Squeak!

- Doug