IconicButtons that don't "click" until mouse is moved

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Mon Jan 26 13:35:12 UTC 2004

Chris Becker wrote:

>Recently I started noticing when I click an IconicButton (e.g. the close (x)
>button on a SystemWindow) that the button press doesn't take effect until I
>move the mouse pointer away from the spot I clicked on. The button visually
>changes state on mouseDown but not on mouseUp until the mouse is moved.
>
>I'm unsure where to look to clear up this problem. I'm running 3.6 #5424.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Chris

Chris,

I had this same problem.  A temporary workaround which worked for me was
to execute:

    Utilities cleanseOtherworldlySteppers

Clearly there is a bug which is causing the steppers list to get messed
up since several other people have reported this same problem.  So far I
believe that everyone who has mentioned it was running Linux (were
you?).  Anyway, I have no idea even how to begin debugging such a thing
so I've just resigned myself to executing the snipet above every so often.

David

--
C. David Shaffer
http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer