Monticello, SM2, BFAV in 3.7alpha (was Re: Error during install of KomHttpServer 6.2 in Squeak3.7a-5657 image)

Timothy Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 27 01:02:13 UTC 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 1:12 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> One cannot assume any mac system will be HFS+ only.
>
> Use
> FileDirectory default class maxFileNameLength
> to find out what file name max length is
> I'll note that this will only identify if the boot volume is HFS+,
> might have other volumes that aren't HFS, but Squeak doesn't quite
> handle different file types between volumes..

I had to tackle this problem some years ago for VW2.0 - NTFS had just
come out and had different rules to FAT. Unfortunately it broke some
deep assumptions about how to verify the acceptability of a filename
because now the answer depended upon which FS it existed and not just
on the platform.

The best answer back then was to use the OS api for canonicalising the
name at whatever time is appropriate. Currently we  don't do that in
Squeak, relying instead on the implementation of checkname or badChars
or similar to catch problems. I think the time has come to add an
optional prim to ask the OS to take a look as well. Several OSs have
reasonable canonicalisation apis that could be used. Yet another reason
to get to replacing the crap filesystem code.

tim