FileSystem plugin? (was Re: Monticello, SM2,BFAV in 3.7alpha)

Michael Rueger michael at squeakland.org
Tue Jan 27 01:35:45 UTC 2004

Timothy Rowledge wrote:

> or similar to catch problems. I think the time has come to add an
> optional prim to ask the OS to take a look as well. Several OSs have
> reasonable canonicalisation apis that could be used. Yet another reason
> to get to replacing the crap filesystem code.

Something along the lines of a file system plugin?
- returns/enumerates the file systems/volumes/drives
- query file system information (type, path length, free space....)
- file system specific calls (c14n (canonicalisation  ;-), attributes
(it is a real problem on *ix systems that Squeak ignores the file
attributes, Dan wrote a little goodie using OSProcess to allow one to
manipulate them), access control...)

Just MTC

Michael