Finding original change sets in the Version Browser

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Jan 27 23:27:11 UTC 2004

Hi, Mike,

By "history browser" here, do you mean a "recent submissions" tool?

If so, what you're observing is normal and correct.  The
recent-submissions tool operates independently of the change-set
regime.  Every time a method is successfully submitted by any means
-- normal "accept" in a browser or other code tool, file-in from a
file-list, file-in from a change-list-browser or
file-contents-browser or from loading code updates, or
revert-to-earlier-version -- the fact that it was submitted gets
remembered in the recent-submissions list, and this has nothing to do
with what change-set(s) the method may occur in.

It wouldn't be at all hard to add a feature that allows the user
explicitly to delete a particular method from the recent-submissions
list, but I've never heard a demand for such a feature. nor
personally felt a need for it.  Except, perhaps, in your email today?

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

... or perhaps by "history browser" you mean a "recent change log"
tool, which is a kind of ChangeList browser that shows, in dechunked
format, the tail end of the .changes log.

If so, again the right thing is happening.  The changes log is
write-only and immutable; whatever has been logged there cannot
become "unlogged".  Again, this operates independently of any
change-set considerations.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

... or perhaps by "history browser" you mean the "recent" category in
the Lexicon tool, which shows all the methods to which you have
navigated within that tool?

If so, again the right thing is happening.  If you want to delete a
particular method from the Lexicon's own "recent-history" list,
select the method and hit the "-" button in the  tool's button bar.
That's specifically what that button is for.

...  or perhaps by "history browser" you mean some different tool
altogether, in which case perhaps you could clarify ;-)

Cheers,

  -- Scott