Porting issues

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 28 06:03:00 UTC 2004

Vincent Coetzee <vincent.coetzee at ebucks.com> wrote:
> Is there an easy way to find the oop of a class with a particular name
> from within the VM ?

Any "root" objects (including classes) that the VM needs to access directly
should be put into the specialObjectsArray, see that access method and its
set method #recreateSpecialObjectsArray in SystemDictionary.

> What is the approved way of storing pointer oops into instance
> variables, is it storePointer:ofObject:withValue ?

Yes.  See interpreter access protocol in ObjectMemory for the full set
accessors.

> Is there some vague documentation about the nature of the "boot"
> process in the image, i.e. I understand that one can track the process
> via reading what happens after a snapshot in SystemDictionary, but
> there is a lot of very convoluted code there and I seem to be getting
> strange behavior, in that my port is correctly calling ioScreenSize,
> and ioHasDisplayDepth, but ioForceDisplayUpdate and ioShowDisplay,
> never seem to get called.

Someone else may be able to help here.  I usually just mentally trace
the code.

Cheers,
Anthony