[KCP][ENH] KCP-0160-SystemChangeNotif (and related changesets - [et] mostly works (found 1 error), [er] I like it)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jan 29 08:41:04 UTC 2004

On Jan 29, 2004, at 12:12 AM, ducasse wrote:

> no this is an old comment
> The version two (KCP-0170-CompilerProtocolRefactoring.4.cs ) changes
> SystemNavigation default forgetDoIts into Smalltalk forgetDoIts.

Can you repost that version?  The one you posted earlier didn't have .4
in the name, and the ordering was wrong so it didn't load.

>>   I'm also happy to have the installation of the method into the
>> method dictionary better separated from the compilation of the
>> CompiledMethod, and to have the notification as part of
>> #addSelector:withMethod: rather than as part of compilation.  One
>> thing that might be nice would be to further separate this out so
>> that adding the source to the .changes file wasn't done at the same
>> time as installing the method into the method dictionary (or could
>> the .changes file just be another client of the notifications?).
>
> It is a client but we tight it together to have the same behavior as
> now.

Hm, maybe I wasn't clear.  I'm talking about, eg,
logMethodSource:forMethodWithNode:inCategory:withStamp:notifying: .
This isn't a client of the notifications, and I'm not at all sure it
should be, but I wouldn't mind if the process of compiling a method and
logging its source could be done independently of installing the
resulting CompiledMethod into the methodDictionary, which isn't
currently possible.