upgrading monticello

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri Jan 30 17:42:29 UTC 2004

Frank Shearar wrote:

>>I've just posted two new releases of Monticello to SM, revisions #86
>>and #90.  Why two?  Because one of the bugs fixed in release 86 is
>>triggered by release 90 - so if you're upgrading from an earlier
>>version, you have to upgrade to 86 *first* (fixing the bug), and then
>>upgrade to 90 (no longer triggering it).  If you try to upgrade
>>directly from, eg, 69 to 90, you'll get an error halfway through the
>>load and your image will be left in a horrible inconsistent state.
>>Don't do this.  (Isn't self-hosting fun?)  Just loading 90
>>into a clean
>>image should be fine, though.
>

> I downloaded version 86 from SqueakMap, installed it manually, and then
> upgraded using the PackageLoader. Everything worked fine until right at
> the very end, where I got a Warning. The Warning said "blah blah you
> can click on Proceed to try again, which will probably work". Certainly
> I didn't get any errors after that.
>
> I presume that this is normal and fine and I haven't just destroyed my
> image, leaving it a smoking ruin of radioactive rubble? Certainly,
> opening a MonticelloBrowser I can open SnapShotBrowsers on packages and
> look at bits, without things blowing up, so I think I'm in the clear...

Yeah, that warning with a proceed is one of the features that 86 added
for you - it retries any of the chunks that had errors (because most of
them are caused my moving variables up or down between superclasses and
subclasses).

I thought Avi posted a slightly newer version that removed the prompt
and just did it actually, but I guess it was probably an update to 90,
so you'd still have got the warning until you actually got that version
installed.

In any case, you should be fine now...

Julian