BFAV2 problem: Failed to extract email file

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Jan 30 23:27:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 15:43, Doug Way wrote:
> Doug Way wrote:

> > I was also seeing an error when opening the BFAV (now I don't remember
> > if it was the "Failed to extract" error), so I put at halt in the
> > place you mentioned.  I started with a fresh image and I loaded the
> > latest BFAV2 (2.03), but my email-file-repository directory is about
> > two weeks old.

I was able to hit this error as well.  Unfortunately stepping through
the code immediately afterwards, it worked.  Right now there seem to be
some network problems in the vicinity of the server.  I've had a couple
of other people check (west coast US, Russia) and we all get about
30%-50% packet loss to the server at the moment.  There is some logic to
try to download the message zips 3 times and then fail.  I suspect, but
can't confirm, that this error is occurring when all three attempts
fail.  Perhaps we aren't handling the failure politely.  I'll keep
trying to replicate.

Ken