I want to run the interperter within squeak 3.6 or 3.7

tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 2 22:42:30 UTC 2004

stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi
> for the presentation I will do at RMLL I want to show that you can
> execute the VM inside itself.
> Nathanael told me that this was not working in 3.7. So I'm working with
> 3.6.
>
> I loaded VMMaker 3.7b5
> I prepared a 3.6 image in MVC
> Then I executed
>     (InterpreterSimulator new openOn:
> '/Volumes/Data/Users/ducasse/Workspace/FirstCircle/SqDemoes/Squeak3.6
> -5424-basic/Squeak3.6-5424-basic-mvc.image') test
>
> But I get an error.
>
> I do not know where to find a version of VMMkaer for 3.6. I looked ont
> he site of tim but without success.
>
> Stef

a) you'd probably be better off running
InterpreterSimulatorLSB (or MSB) blah blah
b) VMMaker for 3.6 is still on my website at
http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/packages/VMMaker/VMMaker3-6g2.sar
c) currently the simulator is not massively useful. I can run an image
setup with an MVC project up to the point where I can open a browser,
get bored with the dismal speed and exit theimage. In a Morphic project
  it crashes fairly quickly because the slang code in B2Dplugin-whatever
isn't very simulatable yet.  I vaguely recall something like strcpy
being referred to which is fine when translated but no good in sim.
There is a good deal of work needed and I'm simply not in a position to
do all of it. If someone were paying me I might change my mind but to be
honest there are much more interesting things to do in the VM right now
and the simulator is not anywhere near the top of my priority list.

tim