Goods was Re: Magma....

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Sat Jul 3 16:47:50 UTC 2004

Avi Bryant wrote:
[snip]
> Because of this 80% solution effect, I believe that using the GOODS
> client may actually be a more effective way to end up with a solid
> pure-Squeak OODB solution, because it lets us tackle each half of the
> problem separately: once we have a really good client done, we can start
> to reimplement the GOODS server in Squeak, meanwhile falling back on the
> C++ server for the cases where we need the reliability.

This sounds interesting and definitely worth exploring.

A question about GOODS.

Due to time constraints, my project was going slow and I was tired of
listening to my dual Opteron server (sounds like a vacuum cleaner :)
while developing or doing any computer related stuff. It was also
serving as my desktop til I deploy.

So I bought an eMac to develop on until I deploy.

I haven't explored yet, but, is there a GOODS server for OSX?
Would the data be cross-platform?
Can I just copy the data over to the server to deploy?

Or would I need to set up my server (in a different room :)
and set up a GOODS server on my server and build my database there?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin