Magma....

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Jul 5 09:14:04 UTC 2004

Hi!

Ramiro Diaz Trepat <ramiro at novamens.com> wrote:
> Please guys, this must have happened to someone using Magma.
> I am using the 3.7 image and the latest available Magma.
> The simplest lines, like the one below:
>
> session commit: [ session root at: 'address' put: address ].
>
> (where Address is a silly class containing only a couple of attributes
> (street and number) ment only for testing)
> Give me the "primitive has failed" (and the log I am attaching)
>
> But *trivial* lines like this one:
>
> session commit: [ session root at: 'song' put: 'lalala' ].
>
> work perfectly.

I have yet not worked *extensively* using Magma - but I *do* have a
fully working web app using it with a Magma-local db. The key here is
probably that I use 3.6-5424 + Magma 1.0gamma6.

And given that I have had no problems at all, it works smoothly.

But Avi is right in the fact that Magma has not many users yet - and
probably not anyone in serious production (just guessing), and it
probably has issues - especially if you run it in 3.7 and the latest
release.

But it is a very neat OODB implementation - probably the most advanced
one that is free and written in Squeak, AFAIK.

Let's not pitch GOODs against Magma in the sense that the community
needs to "choose" one or the other - sure, for your *personal* needs you
must of course choose the one that fits. :) And I am also sure Avi
didn't imply that - I just want to make sure that Chris feels our
support in his quest. :)

I for one love Magma, and even if I haven't done serious plumbing yet -
it is really neat, and quite fast too.

regards, Göran

PS. My app is actually on SM, but I haven't bothered to "wrap it up
neatly" yet. Will as soon as I get time, the app is a little nice
reminder tool and I built it as a "show case" for Squeak, HttpView and
Magma. Email in private if you desperately want to play with it. :)