[VICTORY] (was Re: Linux building woes...)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Jul 9 01:14:36 UTC 2004

Torsten Sadowski <moehl at akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> After all your work, would you say GNU autotools are worth the effort? I
> have had many cases where they fail and where I think a handmade makefile
> with some (documented) lines for local configuration would be better.

Well, I really have no idea! :) It sure seems impressive when it runs
though, and I guess there is no real alternative available. I can't make
any judgement either on the quality of the scripts in the Squeak package
- I know too little about it.

Sidenote - I noticed that GNU Smalltalk is a very good "citizen" in this
respect - the module for Lunar didn't even need a BUILD script because
it is just the standard "./configure; make; make install". I also
noticed that Paolo has been working on the automake/autoconf packages.
Perhaps we could take a look at GST and see if there is anything good to
learn.

> Torsten

regards, Göran