[GOODIE] address checker (was Re: [SOLVED?] (was Re: [BUG HUNT!]ImageSegment loading troubles revisited))

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Sun Jul 11 18:43:51 UTC 2004

On Sunday 04 July 2004 9:23 am, David T. Lewis wrote:
> I've attached a little plugin that will hopefully confirm the diagnosis on
> a machine that has this problem (mine does not). From the preamble:
>
> A plugin and utility methods to check the values of the address of the
> start of object memory and the address of the end of object memory. Check
> to ensure that these values are not too large to be represented as positive
> signed integers in the underlying machine architecture.

And here is a shell script that will examine the running Squeak processes
in your system for the same problem.

Note that the default virtual memory allocation cap (which can be set by the -mmap command line option)
for Squeak is the lesser of:

	- 75% of available virtual memory, or
	- 1GiB.

So if your system has a lot of virtual and physical memory (mine does),
you could wind up extending past this boundary under normal conditions:

$ sh findMemProbs.sh
PID 3383:   /usr/local/bin/squeak -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null squeak.image
401a5000 1048588       -       -       - rw---    [ anon ]
PID 14189:   /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.7b-6/squeak -vm display=X11 -vm sound=OSS -nomixer -xshm -display :0 -swapbtn Squeak3.7b-5967
40b70000 1048576       -       -       - rw---    [ anon ]

PROBLEMS!
2 memory regions that start or extend past the 2GiB boundary were found.
Squeak may not run properly on your system.
Consider using the --mmap command line switch
to limit the amount of virtual memory used by Squeak.

You might want to use the -mmap command line switch instead of the -memory command line switch, though.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/