Going for the Full Monti (Re: How to improve Squeak)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Jul 12 11:24:04 UTC 2004

"SmallSqueak" <smallsqueak at rogers.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> 	Talking of slicing, dicing and versioning, one would
> 	wonder if Monticello and Ginsu can supplement each other.
> 	Or are they just two completely different beasts.
>
> 	Maybe Goran, who broke the news of the first public release
> 	of Stable Squeak with an extensive and exclusive interview
> 	and now has used Monticello a lot can give some review ?

I didn't really dwelve into Ginsu, but IMHO Ginsu is "dead".

Monticello is a simpler solution more adapted to how open source
projects work (auto merge, distributed development etc) that *works* and
has become the de facto standard in Squeak, with a dedicated group of
developers behind it that are active in the Squeak community. That last
part is more important than anything else.

So... IMHO... forget Ginsu.

We have Monticello, Avi, Julian and Colin (and perhaps more). We don't
need no stinkin Ginsu. ;)

regards, Göran

PS. I think it is about time Monticello became an "Official package in
Basic". One good reason is that anyone who upgrades to the new SM2
releases I just made - and I assume everyone does eventually - will be
asked to install it anyway. Doug? Time to make that little update. :)