How to improve Squeak

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 12 18:11:40 UTC 2004

My goodness, 38 posts and no one answered the question itself.  Everyone
is making plans and proprosing processes, but eventually someone needs
to actually change the system you know.  :)

In short, BookMorph is old.  It has bitrotted because not many people
are using it and because its core functionality is now in a different
part of the UI.  Nowadays, projects are used as "pages" of a multi-page
work.  Instead of a BookMorph, we have project threads.  Instead of a
navigation bar, we have a navigation flap plus
InternalNavigationMorph's.  Resorting is still present, but you access
it via InternalNavigationMorph instead of through the BookMorph toolbar.

Because of this history, I don't see a particular reason to fix up
BookMorph at all. This is not some random widget, but is designed to be
a core part of the UI.  The UI doesn't use it any more.  Even if
BookMorph is fixed up to work well in current Squeak's, it's feature set
should surely be revisited because most of the stuff just doesn't make
sense nowadays.  And really, why does it need to be fixed up anyway?
It is perfectly fine just to delete the thing or even just to mark the
comment as "no longer supported, but present for historical interest".

Now, my two cents on process is that this is a perfectly normal
situation in a system that is supposed to have experimental stuff in it.
 We don't need any process; we just need someone who has some vision
about the state of the whole image, to go through and if things like
this.  That seems to be happening, so what's the problem?  If anything,
my suggestion would be for individuals to start volunteering as stewards
of the image(s); I don't expect that we can have an excellent image when
every little change is made by committee.  And if multiple people step
forward, that's great too; we'll have multiple images that are all
interesting.

-Lex