How to improve Squeak

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jul 13 05:26:10 UTC 2004

lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
	In short, BookMorph is old. ...
	Because of this history, I don't see a particular reason to fix up
	BookMorph at all. This is not some random widget, but is designed to be
	a core part of the UI.  The UI doesn't use it any more. ...
	And really, why does it need to be fixed up anyway?
	It is perfectly fine just to delete the thing or even just to mark the
	comment as "no longer supported, but present for historical interest".

I would have been very happy to see saving a BookMorph to a file work.
I have several times used BookMorphs as a kind of "rich man's PowerPoint"
(NOT "poor man's" -- BookMorphs are *better* as far as I'm concerned).

I have always put my occasional problems with BookMorphs down to inadequate
documentation.  I don't *care* whether they are a "core" part of the UI or
not, they do a useful job, and if they were better documented and not left
to rot I suspect more people would use them.

By arguing in this way you could kill off practically ANY part of Squeak.
Conceal from people how to use it.
Make incompatible changes to the system.
Then say it's not core and doesn't need to be fixed.

It may well be that BookMorphs *should* die, but PLEASE, someone write
a *DETAILED* tutorial about how to get the same funcationality from the
other aspects of the system FIRST.

And I do mean detailed.  About the level of the documentation that
BookMorph should have had in the first place, in fact.