SM issues, requesting feedback

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Jul 13 10:39:36 UTC 2004

Howdy people!

Well, I am sitting doing some upgrade runs from different images and
noticed the following "problem":

Doing a "upgrade all installed" in a 3.6 Full does not work. Why?
Because it will unfortunately try to upgrade the Games package which
does have a new release, but it is only for 3.7 - if you install it you
will see at least two problems popping up which has to do with the new
initialize-behavior - AtomicGame for example relies on initialize being
called automatically.

Ok, this poses the question how "upgrade all installed" SHOULD work.
First - why did it try to upgrade to an unpublished release? #isOld has
been modified to handle it? Well, the code is buggy - it fails because
there is no lastPublishedRelease, and even if there was one - it would
also fail if that was not the one installed. Silly code really.

If I fix that we still have a problem. Lets say the new Games package
was released and all. Since it is solely for 3.7 - it should still not
try to upgrade to it. Granted - we are now going into the Land Of
Missing Dependencies - but can we do better as it stands today?

One possible logic would be to implement isOld so that if there is a
newer release than the one installed, which is published AND for this
Squeak version, then it is old. What if there are multiple new releases?
Should it upgrade one step at a time? Or directly to the latest?

Well, if we want "upgrade all installed" to work in a 3.6 Full - then I
at least need to do something.

regards, Göran