How to improve Squeak

jhkeel jhkeel at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 13 23:25:12 UTC 2004

--- In squeak at yahoogroups.com, goran.krampe at b... wrote:
> "jhkeel" <jhkeel at f...> wrote:
> > --- In squeak at yahoogroups.com, lex at c... wrote:
> > > If anything,
> > > my suggestion would be for individuals to start volunteering as stewards
> > > of the image(s);
> >
> > Lex,
> >
> > Many of us have volunteered.  I offered to steward "collections" for TFNR over 7
months
> > ago and nothing has come of it.  We are just waiting for someone to give us the go
ahead
> > on that long delayed project.
> >
> > Jack
>
> Yes, I know. I lost all momentum on that unfortunately. Perhaps the time
> is ripe again.
>
> We should probably just start small. But let us get this damn 3.7 out
> the door first, should be done this week. Still busy with the SM stuff
> here...
>
> regards, Göran

I understand and I certainly wasn't complaining about your work on this front - there is
only so much you can do and you do a lot.  But it is difficult to help you "insiders" when
the rest of us aren't sure where things stand.  I was just letting you know that we are still
out here waiting to help if only given the chance.

And
>From: danielv at tx.technion.ac.il

>Ok, go ahead.
>I propose the following first objectives:.....
<bunch of reasonable ideas/>
>You might think other goals are more worthy, then go ahead. But don't
>just wait.

>Daniel Vainsencher

Okay, thanks, I won't wait.  Curious, I didn't see your name on the task force list :)

However, I have been thinking about this for several months (i.e., not just waiting) and
your list of tasks (and any others Squeakers wish to provide)  will be added to my existing
list of tasks and considered in due course and within priority.

I seem to be from the Stéphane Ducasse school of thought though, and my first order of
business might be to
1. Get in contact with Göran, Peter van Rooijen, and Richard O'Keefe (others who were
interested in Collections)
2. add/improve Class and Method documentation (so we know what we've got and to see
if our changes actually will make it into the system),
3. add unit tests (so we know what works, how it performs, and, later, what we break, slow
down, or speed up),
4. accumulate ISO, VW, VA, Blue Book and other info so we know how it might fit into the
world at large,
5. generate UML diagrams or other documentation so others may understand it too and
provide informed comments on our proposed future directions
6. then we'll consider what we're going to do *to* it but do it in a way that nothing that is
running now breaks.

Jack