How to improve Squeak (BookMorph)

Raymond Asselin raymondasselin at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 14 01:37:09 UTC 2004

Hi Lex,

    I jump in the discussion because I'm not an heavy user of
BookMorph but I really appreciate it and for now I believe that
BookMorph give us things no other objects in the image give us.

I must say that I know everything you mentioned about project and
use them for presentation.  But really there is situations where I like
BookMorph better.  Often I use them all together (Projects and
BookMorphs).

Don't forget that BookMorph is "also" a way to 'bundle', to 'package'
content in one file, and to transport it...or send it to somebody else it
is not only pages we can flip.  Also note that there is time when the
90 projects I have in one image are difficult to manage...It is easier to
manage 3 BookMorphs instead.... I'm kidding...Projects are more than
BookMorphs... but also less than that.  It is'nt a good idea to think in
term of replacing Projects with BookMorphs.

The other way is faisable (Replace BookMorphs with Projects) but
IMHO the functionality provide with projects and or Squeak isn't all
there yet.

- For example, you can save a BookMorph 'as a morph' in a file, and
load it in another image....go load the 40 projects you used as 'pages'
instead of one BookMorph.... !  May be we just need easy way to save
and load threads of projects from the InternalThreadNavigationMorph

- There is time too where you have pictures and where you prefer to
put them in a BookMorph instead of in multiple projects you first have
to create.   Again it may be just another functionality we can add to
the image but we will need PersonaliseGraphicalImport we can pick an
say 'create projects for each image' in that one.

- Or you just want to browse the pages in a BookMorph without
leaving the current project.... again we need a kind of GraphicalImport
ENHANCED with method to view graphics files on disk before to import
them etc....

Personnaly I think BookMorph is not 'THE WAY'  but 'one of ours tools'
and for now, until we have the functionality mentioned and may be
others somebody else can think of, I don't want to get rid of it.

My point is like your in a way.....

' THE BETTER WAY TO GET RID OF BOOKMORPH IS TO ENHANCE THE
SQUEAK ENVIRONNEMENT SO THAT NO BODY WANT TO USE
BOOKMORPH ANYMORE...'

I repeat, IMHO, we are not there yet.

Raymond