How to improve Squeak

danielv at tx.technion.ac.il danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Wed Jul 14 17:18:43 UTC 2004

"jhkeel" <jhkeel at facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Okay, thanks, I won't wait.  Curious, I didn't see your name on the task force list :)
Yup, it got started just as a busy spell came on me. Might find my dirty
finger prints on related projects though :-)

> However, I have been thinking about this for several months (i.e., not just waiting)
Cool

> I seem to be from the StZphane Ducasse school of thought though, and my first order of
> business might be to
> 1. Get in contact with Gsran, Peter van Rooijen, and Richard O'Keefe (others who were
> interested in Collections)
> 2. add/improve Class and Method documentation (so we know what we've got and to see
> if our changes actually will make it into the system),
> 3. add unit tests (so we know what works, how it performs, and, later, what we break, slow
> down, or speed up),
> 4. accumulate ISO, VW, VA, Blue Book and other info so we know how it might fit into the
> world at large,
> 5. generate UML diagrams or other documentation so others may understand it too and
> provide informed comments on our proposed future directions
> 6. then we'll consider what we're going to do *to* it but do it in a way that nothing that is
> running now breaks.
Sounds all good. Some things that might or might not help:
- Start with things you're sure you want and know how to do and will be
fun.
-Wiki pages with your plans. Having your plans in the open where people
can see them will also help you get feedback and other help from the
community.
- If your plans involve blocks that will be non-trivial for the
harvesting process to swallow, get feedback early.

Hope at least some of this helps,
Daniel