The future of SM...

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jul 15 20:08:42 UTC 2004

On 15 juil. 04, at 17:19, lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

> 3. Number two is, as you suggest, to have dependencies between
> packages.
>  They do not need to be complex as we get going, but please do make
> them
> based on packages not particular versions.  At the distribution level,
> the dependencies should be like "Scamper needs URL", not "Scamper 1.5
> needs URL 1.3".  This is because, within a distribution, users almost
> always want to have the newest versions of the packages.

Lex I do not understand why been to specify precise version number is a
problem.
Because how can I load then a coherent configuration of the not that
much recent
distribution if for example a change in one of the package get in
conflict with one
of my tools and I cannot change it. Then I will have to try and error
to load a working
set of old package. Note that I understand that when you are in
development mode
you do not want to all the time edit dependencies but when you release
something
so that public people can use it there is nothing more frustrating than
the Store behavior
where you do not know which package to load and the latest one is not
quite right.

Stef