The future of SM

Phil Hargett hargettp at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 16 01:00:08 UTC 2004

Although I haven't posted on squeak-dev in a while, I do still follow
the threads when I can.  Because of that, y'all probably won't
recognize me.

But...

...I've watched Goran's contributions over the last several years,
especially as he brought SqueakMap forward and made it central to how
Squeak is evolving.  I watched him--among other things--start the
November Revolution.  In addition to creating a great piece of code
that helped push Squeak as a modern operating environment, Goran has
demonstrated himself as a leader.  Being a good engineer sometimes
means more than writing good code: it means communicating the power of
that code, the possibilities of a vision, so that others may build upon
the foundation already laid.  That kind of leverage--each line of good
code leading to more lines of good code--is what good engineering
organizations look for.

So, to anyone who wishes to criticize SqueakMap and / or Goran's
contributions, I say to you: bring it on.  Feel free to contribute in
just the same fashion: that is, delivering good code, developing a
consensus around a vision, and coaching others how to move Squeak
forward in a coordinated fashion.  If anyone can do nearly as nice a
job as Goran, great!  Fantastic.  We need more folks like him (and Avi,
and John Mc., etc.).  Writing great code in corner without a consensus
(e.g., Squat) is not the way forward, although may turn out to be
wonderful R&D--and thus by itself a great contribution--for a future
version of Squeak.

My vote is with Squeak, not Squat.  With Goran.  And with SqueakMap.
The momentum is there with Squeak & SqueakMap, and momentum can be one
of the hardest things to build of all.

:)