The future of SM

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Jul 16 07:10:27 UTC 2004

Hi Phil!

Phil Hargett <hargettp at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Although I haven't posted on squeak-dev in a while, I do still follow
> the threads when I can.  Because of that, y'all probably won't
> recognize me.

I recognize your name. :)

> But...
>
> ...I've watched Goran's contributions over the last several years,
> especially as he brought SqueakMap forward and made it central to how
> Squeak is evolving.  I watched him--among other things--start the
> November Revolution.  In addition to creating a great piece of code

...which hasn't delivered yet - but damnit, let's restart it when 3.7 is
out the door.

> that helped push Squeak as a modern operating environment, Goran has
> demonstrated himself as a leader.  Being a good engineer sometimes
> means more than writing good code: it means communicating the power of
> that code, the possibilities of a vision, so that others may build upon
> the foundation already laid.  That kind of leverage--each line of good
> code leading to more lines of good code--is what good engineering
> organizations look for.
>
> So, to anyone who wishes to criticize SqueakMap and / or Goran's
> contributions, I say to you: bring it on.  Feel free to contribute in
> just the same fashion: that is, delivering good code, developing a
> consensus around a vision, and coaching others how to move Squeak
> forward in a coordinated fashion.  If anyone can do nearly as nice a
> job as Goran, great!  Fantastic.  We need more folks like him (and Avi,
> and John Mc., etc.).  Writing great code in corner without a consensus
> (e.g., Squat) is not the way forward, although may turn out to be
> wonderful R&D--and thus by itself a great contribution--for a future
> version of Squeak.
>
> My vote is with Squeak, not Squat.  With Goran.  And with SqueakMap.
> The momentum is there with Squeak & SqueakMap, and momentum can be one
> of the hardest things to build of all.
>
> :)

Thank you for your support. I just hope I can live up to it. And I
should also say that I somewhat regret doing the posting - but those are
the "stupit" things you do when you get upset I guess.

Squat is really cool stuff and I think it will be of great gain to the
Squeak community in the future.

But I still think the future should hold one coherent SM evolved from
what we have today. :)

regards, Göran