Need your feedback on trait IDE usability

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Jul 17 09:47:39 UTC 2004

Hi squeakers,

We would like to have your feedback on traits from a usability point of
view (we would also appreciate bug fixes too ;)).

Currently we are working with andrew black on a trait browser based on
OmniBrowser,
but we also want to have a minimal support in our old crappy system
browser so that you are not forced to use another browser. The idea of
traits is that you should be able to continue to develop **exactly**
the same way as before if you do not want to see traits.  And this is
working ;).

Could you load traits from SqueakMap and have a look at the default
browser
(it does not have hyper cool features dedicated to traits) and let us
know
if the minimal provided is working: editing a traits, editing a class.
Take care the system gets recompiled so it takes a while but save the
image after :).

If you see problems with some other tools provided by default in Squeak
let us know.
We know that the debugger should be adapted so that method
recompilation in the debugger
got in the right place (trait or class), marcus is having a look.

We are also preparing some simple examples but if you have some ideas
please send us feedback and code.

For more information about traits please read:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Traits/index.html and in
particular the first paper.

By the way, Perl 6 will have traits (not the one they call traits now)
and Scala a strongly typed Java language has already traits, so we hope
Squeak will not miss them.

The traiters

Stef, Nathanael and Adrian.