Need your feedback on trait IDE usability

Adrian Lienhard alienhard at netstyle.ch
Sat Jul 17 15:00:29 UTC 2004

Thanks, Andrew, for the feedback!

I've fixed the bugs you've reported and added the missing support for
variable and weak subclasses. These changes are not on SqueakMap until
I make the next release. If you (or anybody else) like to have them
immediately, please send me a mail.

A short comment about the old (green) browser: We've tried to make it
work without errors (by disabling actions that are not appropriate for
traits) so that one can use it in a way that is very transparent. If
you don't want to know anything about traits you will probably not see
when a class is composed from traits. Deleting a method in a class that
comes from a trait, for example, automatically creates an exclusion in
the composition clause.
For those, that want to work with traits, the traits browser (we took
OmniBrowser and extended it) has more support. E.g., the coloring of
non-local or conflicting methods, the ability to explore a composition
by "diving" into it or drag-and-drop support to compose traits.

> Select a method in trait XXX
>     click on inheritance button - error...
>         MessageNotUnderstood:
> Trait>>allSubclassesWithLevelDo:startingLevel:

We missed to disable this button for traits.

>     click on Source (What to show) button, select Documentation -
> error...
>         MessageNotUnderstood:
> Trait>>precodeCommentOrInheritedCommentFor:
>     click on Source (What to show) button, select Tiles- error...
>         MessageNotUnderstood: Trait>>whichClassIncludesSelector:

works now

> Similarly, I cannot create variableByteSubclasses,
> variableWordSubclasses,
> or weakSubclasses...
> I can, however, create these kinds of classes if I omit the uses:{}
> part of
> the expression.
> (Is it possible to use traits with these kind of subclasses? )

yes, the methods were just missing because we've never used these
classes so far. Works now.

Cheers,
Adrian