idea of bug reporting system

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Jul 17 21:42:02 UTC 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 5:20 AM, Kamil Kukura wrote:

> I play with an idea to integrate bug reporting into the
> PreDebugWindow. So I'm thinking what would happen after pressing
> "Report" button.
>
> We could serialize dump of stack and send it (by HTTP post) to
> dedicated server. It would contain records as message names with
> arguments in their printed form.
>
> The server would sort these bugs to some kind of tree. Presented as
> web pages it could look like this:
>
> 1. first level would be list of methods. Sorted by occurence probably
> the first one would be UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: as
> a result of sending something to nil.
>
> 2. clicking on method would present second level with list of
> arguments that were once passed to this method. Clicking on argument
> would dive in with one step within stack dump and another list of
> methods would appear (now in step 1).

Kamil, this sounds like a very interesting experiment.  I hope you
pursue it.  Even just to be able to get a sense of which execution
paths people got unexpected errors on most frequently (without taking
arguments or comments into account) would be useful: I'm picturing a
BugTally output very similar to the MessageTally profiler...

Cheers,
Avi