[UPDATES] Upgrade to 3.7gamma/3.8alpha, plus 3 more

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Sun Jul 18 14:06:38 UTC 2004

I just wanted to let you all know that I retried to build a 3.7 full
image, this time from the 3.7gamma image. I ran into the same problem as
yesterday. (See my mail with the subject: [BUG] MessageNotUnderstood:
UndefinedObject>>readStringLineFrom: when loading 3.7 Full Assembler.)
For a detailed description of what I did, see below.

I would not be surprised if it's a stupid error on my part. Can anyone
successfully build a full image? If so, how?

I understand that everyone is impatient to get the 3.7 release out.
However, I really think that it is even more important that 3.7 - and I
mean 3.7 full - is a stable release, without any known bugs. If that
takes more time, I am for postponing the release. What do others think?

Thanks for your support!

Bernhard

I did the following:
1. I downloaded and extracted Squeak3.7b-5967.zip from
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.7beta/.
2. I extracted Squeak-Win32-3.6.2-VM.zip to the image directory.
3. I copied SqueakV3.sources from my 3.7beta directory.
4. I started the image and loaded the latest code updates. When prompted
whether I wanted to go to 3.8alpha I selected no to stay at 3.7gamma.
5. I saved the image and loaded the latest code updates for 3.7gamma.
There were none.
6. I opened the SqueakMap Package Loader.
7. I selected the package 3.7 Full Assembler and install. A workspace
which told me to execute the following script:
8. FullImageTools new do. After some activity I got a debugger. See my
mail with the subject: [BUG] MessageNotUnderstood:
UndefinedObject>>readStringLineFrom: when loading 3.7 Full Assembler.
(9. Mail out bug report opened a second debugger btw.)