Need your feedback on trait IDE usability

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Tue Jul 20 12:56:57 UTC 2004

ok I eventually loaded Traits without problem. my image had an existing
instance of OmniBrowser which was the cause for my earlier trouble.

after playing with Traits a very short while, here are a few remarks:

- the browsers all get very slow in accepting changes

- I had to implement TraitBehavior>>inheritsFrom: (always returning
false) in order to be able to open a rb browser on a trait. the cause
was RefactoringBrowser>>isTestCase:

- I made a trait by copying a few methods from one of my classes, then
modified the class definition to have it use that new trait, and
eventually I removed from the initial class the methods implemented in
the trait. at this point I found very confusing that removing such a
method appears not to do anything (of coure it does, but the method from
the trait looks exactly the same in the browser display !)

- in a normal browser on a class, the new methods from a trait appear
under the category 'as yet unclassified'... I guess it should better be
a category named from the trait name

- I had to implement TraitBehavior>>withAllSuperclasses to get rid of an
error when selecting a method category in a browser on a trait

this looks very promising, though :)

Stef