New Monticello release (was Re: [BUG] Monticello error when loading Connectors 2.0)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jul 22 02:39:47 UTC 2004

On Jul 21, 2004, at 10:14 AM, John R. Pierce wrote:

> Hi Avi,
>
> It appears that if I don't load Monticello into my image and just have
> MCInstaller (which comes with 3.7 gamma) then I can load Ned's
> Connectors 2.0
> package just fine.  If I have Monticello installed (which is usual for
> me to do
> since I have like 20 MCZ packages I maintain), then Connectors 2.0
> will not
> install.

John,

I've just released a new version of Monticello (as well as new versions
of PackageInfo, PackageInfo-Exporters, and PackageInfo-Extras, although
these aren't required).   This is mostly integrating a number of fixes
and enhancements contributed by Ned, as well as your optimization for
ancestry lookups.  Highlights include:
- a new SubDirectory repository type, which does intelligent things
with structured directories rather than just dumping everything in the
root
- looser handling of dependencies.  You will be warned if resolving a
dependency will bring in an older version of a package that is
currently in your image, and can choose not to.  You can also choose to
proceed with a load even if a dependency is missing.

It doesn't entirely fix the dependency problem when loading Connectors
- it still complains that it can't find a particular version, but it
now gives you the option to proceed anyway.  AFAICT, if you do proceed,
it all works just fine.  So although we still need to track this down
further, at least the package will now load with only minimal hassle.

As always with a new release, please report all the problems that are
bound to crop up.

Cheers,
Avi