FullImage Assembler/SqueakSource and Firewalls

Adrian Lienhard alienhard at netstyle.ch
Thu Jul 22 08:53:59 UTC 2004

Hi Torsten

On Jul 22, 2004, at 8:14 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> it is not possible to load the "full image" or packages
> like "Exupery" from behind a firewall since some packages
> are located on the SqueakSource server (kilana.unibe.ch:8888)
> - which is not accessible from behind a firewall.

...if the firewall prevents you from opening outgoing connections to
port 8888.

> There is a firewall friendly SqueakSource mirror at:
> http://kilana.wiresong.ca/@LgHwrPOIYAFylQnO/mvlccTaN

or http://squeaksource.com (by John Pierce)
These are not mirrors but web servers that proxy the requests to the
kilana server.

> Either we should reregister the packages or make SqueakSource
> more firewall friendly.

Yes absolutely. We plan to move SqueakSource to another server here at
university which is faster. Cees also did an DNS entry for
source.squeakfoundation.org which will work with the new server.
kilana.unibe.ch should not be used anymore (it's a machine name),
although we will install a proxy to support the old SqueakMap entries.
For the moment the two above names should be used to register on
SqueakMap.

Cheers,
Adrian