Squeak 3.8 status

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jul 27 08:14:33 UTC 2004

Am 26.07.2004 um 20:20 schrieb Steven Riggins:

> Hello folks!
>
> We've begun work on TK4 in Tweak.  One of the issues that has come up
> is the internationalization work that Michael and Yoshiki are working
> on.
>
> Since TK4 depends on this work, I'd like to get a sense of the 3.8
> status.  I've seen notes from as far back as January, but I don't
> think 3.8 is done yet.

Doug already answered most of the questions. here are just some general
remarks...

If you depend on squeak, you should try to get involved with the
harvesting process (or work on improving/replacing that process).
You can view that as an "investment" in your own future.

One thing that did hold the release of 3.7 back was that we did not
have the manpower to get important fixes in especially in
April/May/June. It has gotten a bit better over the last weeks again.

> I'd like to see 3.8 nailed down to just these changes and finished.
> As more and more people learn about Squeak/Tweak and more projects
> start to rely on the wonderful work you do, we're going to need more
> stable versions than less stable versions, and shorter development
> cycles for each iteration.

The problem is that all people involved with squeak 3.7a are not doing
Squeak full time in any way. Those who do seem to always
have more important stuff to do than the getting trivial fixes added to
Squeak...

So those who rely on a stable release are not involved in the process,
and those who do the work don't need that stable release.

The only solution I see is that those who need a stable release, uhm,
just help to build that?

     Marcus