debian packages updated

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 27 15:11:13 UTC 2004

New Debian packages are at the usual location, as described here:

	"Squeak for Debian Users"
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3616

Several new things:

	1. The browser plugin is packaged now.  You need to install
"squeak-plugin".  I've seen it work on galeon, mozilla, and konqueror.
konqueror users, be aware that you have to install an extra package in
order to use "netscape" plugins -- it took me a while to figure this
out.  I have no idea why it doesn't work under Mozilla Firefox; if
anyone figures it out please let me know!

	2. The VM is now named "squeakvm", and "inisqueak" is now named
"squeak".  The idea is that end users can just use the "squeak" script
all the time and not need to learn two commands.  Also, "squeak" by
itself now installs an image and launches Squeak.  More on this is
described in the next message.

	3. The CVS snapshot version of the VM has also been updated.  The
package is called "squeak-vm-nk".

	4. autoconf is pre-run for you.  Such a short sentence that is, and yet
so much strife went into making it true -- not all autoconf's work, and
in some situations the resulting script *appear* to work, but it has
actually *half* enabled something.  Be glad it is done, and do NOT do
"cd ..../config; make".  Run the configure script and be happy the
autogods are complacent right now.  Wake them at your peril.

Regards,

Lex