[SM] SM categories vs Debian debtags

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jul 28 09:25:59 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Serge Stinckwich <Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
> goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Just noticed an example where SM (our categories) has been ahead of
> > Debian, until now:
> >
> > http://debtags.alioth.debian.org
> >

> You mean Debian is ahead ? If we like to be far ahead, we need to adopt

I meant that we have been ahead - because they seem to just have added
it.
And note that it comes with a considerable effort because of they not
having a single model like we do. For us it is trivial to have canonical
objects like the SMCategories.

In many other respects I think we are ahead - and of course in some, we
are lacking. We don't have checksums or signatures. We don't have
dependencies... yet. :) But we have SMAccounts, SMCategories,
SMPackageReleases (which I think capture more than Debian does) etc.

> tools like RDF, DAML and OIL in order to categorize packages and people.
> But it might be a little cumbersome for our needs.

Yes, I think it is better to look at those things - see if we can
learn/borrow a thing or two and then just use clean objects. No need
IMHO to mess around with complicated file formats - in this respect I
FULLY agree with Craig. :)

regards, Göran