m17n ready to go

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Jul 30 14:20:12 UTC 2004

  Ned,

> >   No.  If the default is Latin1TextConverter, there would be more
> > problems.
>
> Like what? If everyone who wants text is specifying the type (like you suggest
> below) there shouldn't be any problems.

  My reasoning is that if a user is opening a file to write a text, I
would like to provide a file stream that supports the all (most of)
possible characters by default.

> >   The rule of thumb is that if you open a file, you should think about
> > it is text or binary, and if it is text, you should think about how
> > it is interpreted.

> Sure. And the authors of the code that was broken had done that when they
> wrote it.

  I had some hard time to parse this sentense...  What does this
"that" denotes? ^^; I'd assume that "that" means "think about how it
is interpreted", right?  If so, I found that the assumptions by some
of the authors when they wrote it needs to be changed.

-- Yoshiki